Sympathomimetic, Vasopressor used in shock
- Adult:0.3 mg (0.3 cc) IM.
May be repeated every 15 minutes x 3 if patient in anaphylaxis if hypotensive, start an IV and administer 3 cc of a 1:10,000 solution slow IV.
Pediatric:0.01 mg/kg up to 0.3 mg IM. Epinephrine (1:1000) is also given in a dosage of 0.1 mg/kg ET (max. 2 mg) as a cardiac agent.
- Epinephrine is a sympathomimetic, which stimulates both alpha and beta-adrenergic receptors causing immediate bronchodilation, increase in heart rate and an increase in the force of cardiac contraction. Subcutaneous dose lasts 5-15 minutes.
-b1- contractility, inotropic, increase AV conduction, automaticity
-b2- bronchial dilation, skeletal muscle vasodilation
-a- peripherial vasoconstriction, fight or flight response
- - Asthma.
- Acute bronchial spasms associated with asthma, COPD or croup.
- Angioneurotic edema.
- Asystole, V-Fib, pulseless VT, PEA
- Hyperthyroidism, hypertension, cerebral arteriosclerosis in asthma.
Should not be administered in elderly or debilitated patients with underlying cardiovascular disease.
In anaphylaxis, however, there are no contraindications.
- Same as Epinephrine 1:10,000. Also causes hyperglycemia. With the exception of cardiac arrest, Epinephrine 1:1,000 should not be given intravenously; it should be diluted first (1 mg in 9 ml of NS = 1:10,000 or 1 mg / 10 ml).
- Same as Epinephrine 1:10,000
IV push (1:10,000) 1 mg (10 ml) IV, repeat every 3-5 minutes.
ETT 1:1000, 2 mg in 10mls of NS q3 minutes
As a pressor infusion 1 mg / 250 ml D5W, start 2 mcg / min and titrate.
0.01 mg/kg, (0.1 ml/kg IV or IO), repeat every 3-5 minutes.
Use Epinephrine (1:1000) 0.1 mg/kg (max. 2 ml) any time it is given ET.
0.3mg of 1:10,000 (3 mls.) in adult nebulizer @ 6 lpm. Use Caution: in patients over 45 or of possible cardiac history
0.5mg of 1:10,000 (5 mls.) in adult mask nebulizer @ 6 lpm blow-by.
- Epinephrine is a sympathomimetic, which stimulates both Alpha and Beta-receptors. As a result of the its effects, myocardial and cerebral blood flow are increased during ventilation and chest compression. Epinephrine increases systemic vascular resistance and thus may enhance defibrillation.
- Asystole, ventricular fibrillation unresponsive to defibrillation; PEA. Other pediatric indications hypotension in patients with circulatory instability, bradycardia (before Atropine).
- None in the cardiac arrest situation.
- Epinephrine is inactivated by alkaline solutions never mix with Sodium Bicarbonate. Do not mix isoproterenol and epinephrine, results is exaggerated response. Actions if catecholamines is depressed by acidosis, attention to ventilation and circulation is essential. Antidepressants potentiate the effects of epinephrine.
- CNS:Anxiety, headache, cerebral hemorrhage.
Cardio:Tachycardia, ventricular dysrhythmias, hypertension, angina,palpitations.
GI:Nausea and vomiting.